[BTC-dev] The Bitcoin Foundation: STATE OF BITCOIN ADDRESS

Shane Kinney modsix at gmail.com
Fri May 1 02:19:08 UTC 2015

 ..::[ The Bitcoin Foundation: STATE OF BITCOIN ADDRESS ]::..

     [        Date: 2015.04.27                          ]
     [   Co-Chairs: mod6 [R.01] && ben_vulpes [R.02]    ]

0x00] Introduction

   It is with great honor and privilege that The Bitcoin Foundation embraces
   this opportunity to address the public on the state of current progress,
   obstacles and continuing steps in our mission.

   The highlight of April was meeting at the Third Annual MPEx Conference.

0x01] Accomplishments

0x02] Complications and Obstacles

    [ libnss & glibc: Static Linking Complications ]:

      asciilifeform [R.03] found the issue while try build the v0.5.3.1-RELEASE
      on two separate Gentoo Linux environments.  In attempt to support
      different configurations for DNS resolution without recompiling and
      without any interprocess communication, `libnss' is built as a binary
      plugin to `glibc', this making any true static compilation of `glibc'
      near-impossible.

0x03] Continuing Steps

    [ Gentoo Base System for buildroot ]:

      As we've encountered environments largely built by external parties
      tend to include libraries that make repeatable, deterministic builds
      of the Bitcoin Reference Implementation near-impossible.

      Our short-term objective going forward will be to build an environment
      with a very specific tool chain and libraries.  This will enable The
      Bitcoin Foundation to provide specific instructions on how to build the
      R.I. with an approved and tested tool-chain and libraries.

      mod6 has made some progress in this direction, but more work and
      documentation are required.

0x04] Conclusion

   The Bitcoin Foundation would like bestow our sincerest thanks and gratitude
   to the contributors and community for its support and insight.