[BTC-dev] The Bitcoin Foundation: STATE OF BITCOIN ADDRESS

Shane Kinney modsix at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 22:25:54 UTC 2016

 ..::[ The Bitcoin Foundation: STATE OF BITCOIN ADDRESS ]::..

     [        Date: 2016.01.28                          ]
     [   Co-Chairs: mod6 [R.01] && ben_vulpes [R.02]    ]

0x00]: Introduction

   It is with great honor and privilege that The Bitcoin Foundation embraces
   this opportunity to address the public on the state of current progress,
   obstacles and continuing steps in our mission.

   The month of January had a high volume of activity towards The Bitcoin
   Foundation's goals.  Thank you for all your hard work and contributions.

0x01]: Accomplishments

   [ trinque's Makefiles ]:

     trinque [R.03] contributed to the Foundation's goal to make a comprehensive
     build process for the Reference Implementation in the form of a series of
     Makefiles. [R.04]

     The Makefiles do all of the necessary verifications, build steps, source
     pressing [via V], and compiling which result in a deterministic, statically
     linked bitcoind.

     NOTE: With the publication of the latest version of V [v99996] [R.05] these
     makefiles, as they were submitted to the Mailing List [R.06] are out of
     sync.  Much emphasis will be put into getting all of this resolved in
     February.

   [ Malleus Mikehearificarum ]:

     asciilifeform [R.07] submitted this patch to ban misbehaving peers if they
     send a ``heathen command''. [R.08]

   [ Enforcement of 'S' Values in DER Encoded ECDSA Signatures ]:

    mod6's vpatch, `mod6_der_high_low_s.vpatch' [R.09] allows the user to
    enforce a low or high value for `S' in the ECDSA signature.

    This patch has three options:
    0x011]: No flag given [default behavior]; the `S' value is generated and
            the value is used weather it is `high' or `low'.

    0x012]: '-lows' flag given; the `S' value will be in the lower range of the
            order.

    0x013]: '-highs' flag given; the `S' value will be in the upper range of the
            order.

   [ V ]:

    mod6 released V [v99996] [R.05] that resolved a defect and implemented two
    change requests.  The intimate details of the changes are outlined in the
    email to the mailing list.

   [ build-script-v99996K ]:

    In concert with the update to V, mod6 updated the build-script-v99997K.sh
    to build-script-v99996K.sh [R.0A] to utilize the new version of V [v99996].

   [ Tiny Scheme & Shiva ]:

    asciilifeform has imported and utilized TinyScheme, a lightweight scheme
    interpreter.  The purpose behind this is in efforts to build a multi-purpose
    tool for connecting to bitcoind and allowing for command issuance and
    debugging.  We look forward to the further development of this tool.

0x02]: Complications and Obstacles

   The build process for the entire Reference Implementation is a complex one.
   There are many pieces that need to be in place for the build process to
   remain a smooth one.  We have made some good strides in this area, to be
   certain.  However, we look forward to continuing to improve upon this in
   the very near future with trinque's expertise and submitted Makefile bundle.

   The Programmable Version Strings vpatch, submitted in December, has a defect.
   This defect will be resolved shortly. The replacement vpatch will be
   submitted to the mailing list and the V mirror will be updated.  Stay tuned.

0x03]: Continuing Steps

   Barring the issue with the Programmable Version Strings [R.0B] patch that
   was submitted last month, we are effectively in a code-freeze, at least as
   far as the core bitcoin code is concerned.

   What remains aside from the testing mentioned above is to integrate, fully,
   trinque's Makefiles, V, and the dependencies to build the statically linked,
   deterministic bitcoind binary.  A well set goal here for the Foundation is
   to have a build system that is as simple and similar to any other unix
   source package that one may encounter with the typical `make` command being
   issued, and a subsequent full build process is started and completed
   successfully.

   Upon completion of this goal, a final round of testing will commence.  As
   well as any updates to documentation.

   When the last round of tests are complete, mod6 will then submit a release
   vpatch to the BTC-Dev Mailing List to tie together the leaves of the source
   tree.  A release announcement will follow shortly there after.

0x04]: Conclusion

   We would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the somber news that
   this month we lost one of the Lords of The Most Serene Republic [R.0C].
   The Bitcoin Foundation gives its most sincere condolences to chetty's [R.0D]
   family and friends.  You will be greatly missed.

   The Bitcoin Foundation would like to bestow our sincerest thanks and
   gratitude to the contributors and community for its support and insight.