[BTC-dev] (EXPERIMENTAL) "Aggressive PushGetBlocks"

stas@loper-os.org stas@loper-os.org
Sat Dec 23 20:42:08 UTC 2017

Name: readme.txt

In this EXPERIMENTAL patch, we abolish the screamingly idiotic
behaviour where only the FIST node that connects AT BOOT gets
issued a PushGetBlocks.

We replace it with a 'promiscuous' approach, where any peer that
issues 'version' gets asked immediately to supply a candidate
block.

Interestingly, initial observations suggest that this has only
a very small effect on the rate of 'catching up' for a trb node:
on account of the fact that the overwhelming majority of PRB nodes
simply refuse to throw us blocks under any pretext. I.e. most of
what connects may as well be DDOS traffic for all of the good
that it does. As trinque wrote, 'they all insult malleus' and get
dropped.