[BTC-dev] The Bitcoin Foundation: STATE OF BITCOIN ADDRESS

Shane Kinney modsix@gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 00:21:54 -00 2019

 ..::[ The Bitcoin Foundation: STATE OF BITCOIN ADDRESS ]::..

     [        Date: 2019.05.30                          ]
     [   Co-Chairs: mod6 [R.01] && ben_vulpes [R.02]    ]

  This month I'm going to change the Foundation Address to a more informal voice
and a less restrictive style.  This is a perfect opportunity to elaborate about
my on-going work and what I hope to accomplish in the short and the medium term.

  I've recently been successful at building TRB on top of Cuntoo [R.03], TMSR's
own Gentoo variant.  There have been a whole series of projects building on
each other that have led to the success of my recent build.  I've been writing
blog posts [R.04] along the way to not only describe what I've been working on
month to month at high level, but also to post technical logs and notes so
others can follow along and peer-review my work.

  Starting last year, the Foundation committed to switching to Keccak hashes
within our vpatches for TRB, in exchange for SHA512.  Which meant several
things: 1) we needed a new Vtron that supported Keccak, as my original Vtron was
SHA512 only, 2) that any new vpatches for TRB would thusly be held back
until we had a Keccak Vtron, and 3) that users will need a sane environment
with a working GNAT to build the Keccak Vtron (thanks to diana_coman [R.05], we
now have one [R.06]) for the purpose of pressing a Keccak TRB Vtree on said
environment.

  With the advent of Cuntoo, thanks to trinque's [R.07] efforts, we now have the
sane environment in which to build upon.  Thankfully, ave1 [R.08] built a
musltronic GNAT [R.09], so with those tools deployed on Cuntoo, we can then
compile all of the vtools included in diana_coman's Keccak Vtron package
called `starter_v.zip'.  This gets us into position to finally press a Keccak
TRB Tree [R.0A] [R.0B]. (Be advised that the referenced TRB Keccak Vtree tarball
has not yet been peer-reviewed by lordship, and is thus considered experimental
only!).  However, since we now have a sane musltronic environment, we no longer
have the need for many of the previously required TRB dependencies.

  In my Cuntoo TRB sandbox, during the month of May, I went through and removed
all unnecessary dependencies, such as buildroot.  Ultimately, all of the changes
were related to the Makefiles (makefiles.vpatch) [R.0C].  There was one specific
change that was required to Makefile.rotor where I needed to explicitly
configure BDB not to build a shared library (further details are in my blog post
[R.0D]).  I haven't yet signed this vpatch, there is still more testing to do
here; however, I have posted it to my own website (unsigned) for testing and
peer-review [R.0E].

  During the month of June, I'm going to focus on two areas: 1) continued high
level testing of TRB to ensure that the build is stable and working as expected,
2) investigate and begin work on an "ebuild" for TRB as requested [R.0F].

  Medium term work (July, August), provided that I have completed ebuild work,
I will begin to work towards a new HOWTO guide for users so that they might
follow in my foot steps to building a Cuntoo TRB.  Further, there are a number
of vpatches that I was previously going to submit to the mailing list for
consideration that were created before to our decision to move to Keccak only;
these specific vpatches were tabled while getting Keccak tools and Cuntoo stood
up.  Getting these reground and into working shape for submission will become a
new priority once the rest of the foundational work is complete.

  I hope this has been an informative description of my on-going TRB work over
the last month, as well as for the coming months.  Of course, plans can and
often do change, if they do, updates will be posted to next months address.

All the best,
~mod6