[BTC-dev] mod6's V [in perl] **EXPERIMENTAL** version 99993 K

Shane Kinney modsix@gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 22:46:54 UTC 2018

..::[ CALLING ALL V TESTERS ]::..

Attached to this email you will find both a pre-patched, *EXPERIMENTAL* version
of v.pl [v_99993_experimental.pl], as well as an *EXPERIMENTAL* raw patch
[v_99993_experimental.patch].  I include both here as this way the user or
tester does not have to patch the software before executing, and the raw vpatch
to enable inspection of the changes.

*** NOTE: Because this email contains a pre-patched version, I will omit
patching instructions from this message.  Please use the attached, pre-patched
version! ***

A SHA512 Checksum of the pre-patched version should equal:
570ad1d6cda24c17a5131c506102bf615d23582da39185b9dc8c6eb960a66fd03079fbf153f4f7434b4fc673cd9d61960dd866807114226b45149925a47ab675

[ What's different in this version? ]:

Over the course of the last year, there have been a number of change requests,
and one defect found.  This version aims to roll these into a new release.

The following is an enumerated list of the changes you'll find in the attached
patch file:

1. Update the date of TMSR copyright.

2. Update the version number of the vtron to 99993 K.

3. Grammatical errors fixed.  Thanks to hanbot for pointing these out!

4. There is a significant change to the manner in which we handle the creation
   of temp directory for holding the temporary life (during the execution of V,
   and no longer) of the gpg keyring.

   This entails removing the code that looks up the users home directory and
   creation of a directory called '~/.gnupgtmp'.  Instead, we are now making use
   of the UNIX `mktemp` utility.

   We now attempt to use `mktemp` to create a temporary directory in the /tmp
   filesystem if it exists.  If it does not exist, for whatever reason, it will
   attempt to create the temporary directory in the same place where V is
   executed from, '.'.

5. As it turns out, modern ``unix'' environments ship completely useless without
   any sensible utilities at all.  Various unfortunate persons have found this
   out the hard way.  My vtron uses various shell-outs to execute tasks, so
   a 'check_required' subroutine has been added to execute first to ensure that
   all the necessary binaries are available on the users local system.  If a
   dependent program is not found, an error message will be printed letting the
   user know which is missing.

6. A defect has been found [R.01], and reported [R.02] in all previous versions
   of my vtron.

   The defect, in a nutshell, is that if you have more than one leaf in your
   vpatch flow, and you select to press all of the way through the flow, you
   could end up pressing leafs that you didn't intend to press.

   To shed a bit more light on this, now when a user goes to press, the flow
   will not be used to calculate the press-path.  Instead, with a given HEAD
   from the user, my vtron will now recurse the vtree finding all it's
   antecedents and press those only.

   To aid the user, for the time being, I have added what I consider to be
   perhaps a temporary or debugging subroutine to the system called
   'press-path' or 'pp'.  If enough people want this subroutine to stay in
   the code permanently, it will be considered.

   If the user wants to see ~EXACTLY~ what will be pressed, in what exact
   order, the user can use 'press-path' or 'pp' with a given HEAD, and the
   vpatches will be printed to standard out.

[ Questions / Comments / Results From Testing ]:

  If you have questions, comments, or want to report the results of your testing
  please ask mod6 in #trilema, or via email.

  Thank You!  Your efforts are very much appreciated!

  mod6